The Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) Regulations 2002 requires employers to prevent worker exposure to hazardous substances or, where this is not reasonably practicable, to ensure adequate control.
COSHH covers chemicals, products containing chemicals, fumes, dusts, vapours, mists and gases, and biological agents (germs). The Regulations also cover asphyxiating gases and diseases such as Leptospirosis or Legionnaires Disease and biological substances used in laboratories.
Lead, Asbestos or Radioactive Substances are not covered under the COSHH Regulations as these have their own specific regulations.
Our specialist consultants can carry out fully comprehensive COSHH Assessments for organisations which will:
- Identify the inherent hazards of the substance
- Evaluate the risks in using the substance in a particular process or processes
- Determine the required control measures
- Inform users and any others who may be affected of the control measures
The COSHH Assessment documents will include the following information:
- The hazards presented by the substance;
- Information from the safety data sheet provided by the supplier/manufacturer (in the case of chemicals);
- The likely route of exposure (e.g. inhaled, ingested, etc.);
- The duration of exposure;
- The severity of any likely ill-health effects, and any required first aid treatment;
- The methods of disposing of the substance;
- Storage methods and any special fire fighting requirements.
The service we are offer is a fully comprehensive package and there are three main options for organisations:
- Our consultants can carry out your COSHH assessments for you; provide you with all the completed documentation and ensure that your staff receive information, instruction and training on the implementation of the specified control measures.
- Our consultants can support your staff through the COSHH assessment process by providing all of the appropriate forms, training key staff who will carry out the risk assessments, and reviewing all completed assessments.
- Alternatively we can offer a hybrid version of the two options above. This means that we would complete the COSHH assessments, whilst training key staff and providing a full support service thereafter for staff to ensure that the COSHH assessments produced are compliant and completed in a timely manner.
Contact us to find out how we can help your business remain safe and compliant, or to arrange a free consultation with one of our expert consultants.