Waste Management Plan
As a business, you must deal responsibly with any waste your business produces. This is known as your ‘Duty of Care’ and should form part of your waste management plan or waste management policy. Business waste includes any waste that comes from:
- Other industry
- Any commercial activity – including those run from your home
Your duty of care lasts from the moment the waste is produced to when it’s received by a business that is authorised to deal with it, for example, a licensed disposal site.
Within the construction industry producing a Site Waste Management Plan is a key requirement in helping manage safety on site and run an efficient and environmentally friendly site.
If you have responsibility for preparing a SWMP then it is important that you follow a structured approach throughout its development and implementation. The main points are:
- Identify the types and the quantities of waste that are to be produced throughout the construction project
- Be clear about and then identify your waste management options, including those on and off-site, and your procedures for identifying and managing hazardous waste
- Identify your waste management sites, and clarify procedures for their use
- Ensure that all staff onsite, including all of the subcontractors attached to the project, are fully aware of the details of the SWMP
- Make sure you have planned for efficient waste disposal for all of the sites attached to the project
- As the job progresses, measure how much and what type of waste is produced, and check this against the details in the SWMP
- Monitor the SWMP at all stages, and if there is a need for updates, ensure these are included, it is an offence to not do this
- Once the project is completed, review the SWMP, and see if there are any areas for improvement
Implementing a SWMP will help to significantly reduce the amount of waste that is produced by your site and therefore the construction industry, which is responsible for producing 100 million tonnes of waste per year. They will also encourage all parties to think about how they can reduce costs overall, as well as have a more positive outlook when it comes to the environment. Everyone benefits, and construction plays its part in providing a better future for all.
OM Safety Solutions Ltd can help create a Waste Management Plan for your business or site. Contact us to find out how we can help you remain environmentally friendly.